Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Iron & Wine - House By The Sea

There has been a lot on my mind the past few days that I've been wanting to discuss on here, but never actually wanted to type about. I just wished my thoughts would appear in my blog as I thought them. Sometimes, things just happen.

1. I'm getting extremely homesick, and this is just one reason why:



















ELBOWTOE is my new favorite street artist. I will be sure to post GAIA as soon as I can. I was a bit biased with my opinion of him since I never did receive the artwork I bought, but after looking at his recent stuff and seeing how beautiful it all still is, I just can't see how I can stay angry.

2. My Mom lost her job last week. It's taking a crazy toll on the family. At first I was extremely upset, not because I have to now get a job as a freshman in college, but because she's already so depressed about this move to Arizona. Of course, she was the other half of the agreement to move out here, but when that day comes, it's a completely different set of emotions. Anyway, not only do I not know my mother as anything but a meeting planner, but she doesn't know herself as anything but that either. She's been doing it for 35 years. No college experience. Just straight out of high school and into a travel agency. Maybe this is good for her, though. I just want her to do what she loves. She wanted to be a child psychologist. I read that in her yearbook. She was also a cheerleader who obsessed over Bob Dylan and Jethro Tull. I wish she was like that today, minus the whole cheerleader business.

3. Oh, politics. So it sucks that the reason why I'm getting more and more interested in the debate is because my mom lost her job, but fuck it. I'm interested.





...and, of course, the best question of the night...



The entire issue about Obama "palling around with domestic terrorists" (i.e. Bill Ayers who is now a professor at the College of Education at the University of Illinois in Chicago) just makes me love the Weather Underground even more than I already did. Obviously I don't think responding to violence with violence is the answer, but those were radical times and not everyone responds when the only message is "Peace". It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.



4. And this...
There is a house by the sea
Two jealous sisters, they're waiting for me
And one is laid on the floor
And one is changing the locks on the doors
And I've been buying the time on my knees
And I've been selling their blankets to bleed (on)

Around the house by the sea
The scent of roses and raspberry leaves
And there is smoke in my clothes
Too much time with just smoke in my nose
And I've been making the meaning they lack
And I've been burning that book they come back too

There is a house by the sea
And an ocean between it and me
And like the shape of a wave
The jealous sisters will sing on my grave
And I've been living to run where they led
And I've been dying to rise from their bed
And I've been sparing my neck from their chain
And they've been changing the sound of my name
And I've been swimming to them in my sleep
And I've been dreaming our love and our freedom

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it's great discovering about ElbowToe on your blog... his work is great!

    So sorry to hear about your mom...

    ReplyDelete