Monday, October 27, 2008

Joe Cocker - With A Little Help From My Friends

I had such a great childhood. I thought about it today in Philosophy when Devlin was talking about Santa Claus and how much of a lie it is, yet all of society, even the government, goes along with it. (He was talking about right vs. wrong and what lies are okay to tell under strict circumstances.) So I thought about this, yanno, Santa Claus thing, and for as long as I could remember, my Mom always had Christmas dinner at our house. The tree (real, of course) stood in the corner of our living room with those huge string of lights (not the stupid, bland of white lights either; these actually had character) and that reindeer head thing that sang obnoxious carols every time someone stood in front of the sensor hanging on the front door. Anyway, this isn't what made my childhood so grand. It was the fact that my Mom worked a full time job, made a healthy dinner for my father and me every single night, cleaned every weekend because we couldn't afford a cleaning lady or a dishwasher, was a great mother when she didn't have a mother herself, and sang me to sleep. It was the fact that this was her life for 18 years, 24 hours a day, and she still wanted all the family at OUR house for Christmas. She would cook and clean and decorate for days. Days. Wow, this entire entry was supposed to be about my childhood and this is just one example proving how full of love it is, but now it's really making me realize all that my mom has given me. I think I'll write her a card now.

At the end of this entry, I was going to say if I had to change my childhood it would be somthing like this:



But I take it back. I would never change my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment