Thursday, September 17, 2009

Grace Potter & Bethany Joy Galeotti - I Want Something That I Want


I've been listening to Bethany Joy Galeotti a LOT lately. Now, I've never really enjoyed songs from musicals and Broadway things. I guess I just don't have the ear for it. But this beautiful One Tree Hill star has done quite a bit on the theater stage and has a lot more ideas for Broadway (ahem, "The Notebook" on Broadway just to drop a huge hint), and has made me rethink my feelings towards the genre. All of the music she makes isn't so totally theatrical or anything, but her voice is reminiscent of it and some songs are, especially "Karen's Cafe".

Since being back at school I've already read three books, which is impressive for me considering I'm so buried in studying, work and having a social life. So the first was Skinema and I agree with Joe that it should have been spent reading on la toilette every once in a while but every story was just so great that I couldn't stop reading it like it was a classic novel. Now it's sitting on our coffee table and the roommates occasionally pick it up for a quick, funny story.

The second was Of Mice and Men which was incredible. My dad has been urging me to read it since junior year I want to say. After reading Siddhartha which was also recommended by him, it was just a matter of time until I picked this gem up. It really is such an emotional rollercoaster of a story, you gotta read it.

And the book I just finished last night was Fahrenheit 451. I don't tell you the plot or any kind of story line of these books because I really hope you (whoever "you" are) go out and buy them appreciate them as much as I do. There were so many quotes in this book I planned on putting in this here blog, but I only remember the page number to one which goes like this:

"There was a silly little bird called a phoenix back before Christ, every few hundred years he built a pyre and burnt himself up. He must have been first cousin to Man. But every time he burnt himself up he sprang from the ashes, he got himself born all over again. And it looks like we're doing the same thing, over and over, but we've got one damn thing the phoenix never had. We know the damn sill thing we just did. We know all the damn silly things we've done for a thousand years and as long as we know that and always have it around where we can see it, someday we'll stop making the goddamn funeral pyres and jumping in the middle of them. We pick up a few more people that remember every generation."

Joe snagged this picture of me this morning dripping toothpaste out of my mouth. Sexy, I know. That black jumper was $15 at the tent outside Hayden Library. I think her last day set up there is tomorrow and then she comes back November 10th (just in case any girlies on campus wanna get a good deal). I also got a sweet pair of sandals for only $14! I'd include a picture but I'm on the verge of death and I have work early tomorrow.

--Sidenote-- The new feature in iTunes 9, "Genius Mixes", is the best fucking feature they could have given the human race. --End of Sidenote--

No comments:

Post a Comment