Wednesday, April 15, 2009

M. Ward - For Beginners (AKA Mt. Zion)

What do you love that starts with 'B'?
I love books. I love books probably more than I love reading books. I think it was freshman year english class when we were asked our favourite smell and sound. Beth Tippenreiter said her favourite smell was old pages in books and favourite sound was pages being flipped through in books (like letting the pages slide under your thumb from cover to cover). I, thinking I was cool, thought this was ridiculous. If only she could see me now. I plan on either having a great bookcase act as my headboard on my bed or dedicating a wall in my house to be considered my library, granted I will never actually want to call it that. Sounds to prissy and upper class, two of which I am not. I wish I had more time to read. I hate that it should be a first priority but I always seem to push it back before anything else in my daily schedule. Anyway, here are some of my favourites:

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. I read this book twice and will probably end up doing so again. There's just so much to it that I still haven't completely wrapped my mind around it. I love reading the beginning, as I'm sure every other lover of this book does. I really like that there is not much written by him. My Dad gave me Nine Stories recently. I should read one tonight...

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. Gotta thank Joey for this one. I don't think I would have ever read it if he didn't like it so much. I should probably read this one again too. It was the first book I read while in college, and I really loved sitting up in bed every night reading a few chapters so quickly. The few pictures are great. I thought of getting "Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt" tattooed on my foot for a while but decided not to after I found someone in my school wanted it on their arm (even though he is a really awesome guy, I hope he gets it!).

On The Road by Jack Kerouac. Reading this book made me feel closer to my dad and his sister. Sal standing in the rain in the beginning of his journey reminds me of the story my dad tells when he brings my Aunt Debbie to the bus station on her 18th birthday. Sometimes I wish I could be like them, pack up my things and go without any rules or itinerary.

Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer. I really don't need to stress how influential, moving, uplifting, devastating, etc. this book makes me feel. Everyone should know this by now. The best feature this book offers is the many quotes he provides at the beginning of every chapter. My favourite quote in this book is one by Wallace Stegner, "It should not be denied that being footloose has always exhilarated us. It is associated in our minds with escape from history and oppression and law and irksome obligations, with absolute freedom, and the road has always led west."

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. I included this, even though I haven't finished it, because it represents the author, whom I believe to be the best. I started reading Russian literature because of Mrs. Szubiak, believe it or not. We had to do a skit and the story our group chose to do was The Cherry Orchard by Anton Chekhov. Well ever since I've been hooked (especially since Alexander Supertramp loved him as well). I love the way they tie everything in the story together, usually at the end. It makes the reading interesting and gets you excited to finish. Other good books/short stories by Tolstoy include The Death of Ivan Ilych, The Kreutzer Sonota, and my ultimate favourite, Family Happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment